I have had the good fortune of advocating for better access to treatment, better quality of care for eating disorders, and more appropriate and diverse services for people with eating disorders at the local, national, and international level. I stood as expert witness for the 2014 report from the Canadian House of Commons Standing Committee for the Status of Women on Eating Disorders Amongst Girls and Women. I have written several blog posts about the need for systems-level change for eating disorders, highlighting the importance of approaching eating disorders as a fundamentally social-justice-related issue.
- Blog post for World Eating Disorder Action Day
- Blog post for Science of Eating Disorders on the need for systems-level change
- Several of my other Science of Eating Disorders posts also address this critical need; all of my Science of Eating Disorders posts are available here
I have also been engaged with the National Initiative for Eating Disorders (NIED) as a speaker and a volunteer. In January 2015, I presented at a symposium talk about eating disorder recovery in our often-oppressive society. In October 2015, I volunteered with NIED at the Queen's Park March Against Eating Disorders and produced the following video about the need for policy change for eating disorders.
I am a member of a number of professional organizations, including:
- Member At Large of the Board of the Association for Size Diversity and Health (member since 2016, elected summer 2016)
- Academy for Eating Disorders (member since 2013): Member of Recovery Special Interest Group (SIG), Student SIG, Recovery SIG work group on the consensus definition of recovery, Social Media Committee (September 2015-present)
- Eating Disorders Association of Canada (member since 2013)
- International Society of Critical Health Psychology (member since 2013): Postgraduate member of executive committee- March 2015-present
- Canadian Sociological Association (member since 2014)
- Canadian Disability Studies Association (member since 2015)
- Women and Gender Studies et Recherches Feministes (Canada) (member since 2015)
- Sexuality Studies Association of Canada (member since 2016)